Even though the trend to move more and more data processing functions to the Cloud seems quite unstoppable - with the demand for data sovereignty, the tightened security requirements for critical systems and the need for fast and absolutely fail-safe decisions in real time on site, there are undeniably fundamental requirements that can always challenge the ability to take advantage of cloud-based solutions to the fullest. To address this, our Edge & Connectivity experts provide you with everything you need to overcome these obstacles using Edge Computing on Linux.
Today, all relevant IoT architectures take this concept of Edge Computing into account. But the term edge is sometimes interpreted quite differently. When we at M&M Software talk about Edge Computing, we refer to a decentralized system approach in which the data generated in the field is not sent straight to the Cloud but is pre-processed in so-called Edge nodes. Most of these Linux-based edge devices are located close to the process to be monitored or controlled and are capable of responding to local events in real time.
It's Edge That Makes Data Commercially Useable
By introducing an edge layer in your IoT system architecture, you have the freedom to decide for yourself whether and when to send which data to the Cloud, be it the public Cloud or a private Cloud operated by yourself. In this way, you make your valuable data truly commercially viable through an edge solution that is transparent to all stakeholders, opening up options for new service-based business models.
Flexible Hardware Requirements
There is a very broad spectrum of hardware that can be used as edge nodes. It ranges from controllers with Linux runtime systems to specialized Edge computers, from classic industrial PCs to full-blown server systems in data centers provided specifically for the Edge. We can implement your solutions on any of these hardware platforms. Here, we typically use the mechanisms already known from Cloud Computing for the dynamic distribution of runtime systems using container technologies such as Docker.
Wide Range of Task Orders
Depending on the application, the task order of such an edge node can be very different, but you will find the following functions repeatedly:
- Communication gateway for vertical and horizontal solutions
- Secured access to the public Internet
- Data concentrator, data preprocessing, data buffer, ensuring autarkic operation
- Embedded web and application servers
- Remote access functions
- Execution environment and/or communication partner for digital twins
- On-site execution of AI-based ML algorithms
- Offloading data-centric or complex functions from the controller
- Intermediate nodes for device management and configuration of the lower-level field layer
- Condition Monitoring
- I4.0 communication servers and clients with OPC UA and MQTT
- Docker-based application platforms
Cutting-Edge Edge Competence from M&M Software
- significant references of successful Edge projects
- a broad spectrum of experience in industrial communication
- the necessary expertise for Linux-based embedded solutions
- real hands-on experience with cloud connectivity and IoT protocols
- our expertise in topics like Digital Twins, I4.0 management shell and OI4A
- plus a well-stocked toolbox with software technologies such as .NET Core, C++ , NodeJS, Machine Learning, Docker, OPC UA, MQTT, and many more
We thus design and implement highly efficient and future-oriented Edge Computing solutions for you and together with you. These solutions can be seamlessly integrated into your vertical and horizontal system architecture. Just get in touch with us!
A Product Data Structuring Platform for SEW-EURODRIVE
The Asset Administration Shell (AAS for short) is the implementation of the digital twin for the Industry 4.0 platform.
OPC UA Server on Embedded Linux
Together with Lenze, M&M Software has developed an OPC UA server for the Lenze c500 and c700 family of controllers. It builds on the Cs control platform and replaces the OPC UA server, which has been standard on this platform, with a more powerful variant.
Open Industry 4.0 Alliance - reference implementation
On behalf of the Alliance, M&M Software worked in close collaboration with other Alliance members to develop a reference implementation of key modules, which were then made available to all Alliance members as an open source solution.
Technologien & Leistungen
Internet of Things & Cloud
Software Development Partnership
However, at the same time, the development of software is becoming more and more complex. Based on more than 30 years of experience in all disciplines of software development, we offer you our expertise in the form of competent and practice-oriented consulting. For this, we offer various consulting services, which we will gladly adapt to your individual needs.